Saturday, November 30, 2013

Rain Blossom Red Poppies and Santa Barbara Culture Shock by Floral Artist Nancy Medina

http://nancymedina.fineartstudioonline.com/dataviewer.asp?keyvalue=13043&subkeyvalue=1047771&page=WorksZoom

Rain Blossom Red Poppies ~ Detail
by Nancy Medina
30X24
Oil on Deep Gallery Wrap Canvas

It was a busy day in Flower Mound Studio, a trip over the river and through the woods (literally!) to visit mom, putting up the  Christmas tree, and finding an excellent way to eliminate those leftover turkey blues by making Turkey Cheese Sour Creme enchiladas! Tomorrow I will be working on a large commission for one of my favorite Santa Barbara, California, clients whose Mother has requested another of my hydrangea paintings for her home, a partner to one she received a few years ago. The only thing that would make this project better is if I could deliver the painting to her in person, and visit this coastal California town I lived in when I was the editor of a group of veterinary magazines years ago. I did not know at the time that landing a "real" job in Santa Barbara was tantamount to winning a small lottery jackpot, since so many folks would give their eye teeth to live in this idyllic, palm tree festooned, mini paradise framed by beach on one side and rolling hills on the other. Someday I'll tell you the travails of this small town Texas gal who moved to Southern California and tried sometimes successfully, and sometimes disastrously, to fit into an entirely different culture. Suffice to say that inviting my new friends to bring their bathing suits so we could sit in my roommates' hot tub was my first major faux pas. You see, no one had ever been expected to actually WEAR bathing suits in the hot tub until I arrived on the scene. Fortunately there was a happy ending to this story...having met my hubby there and brought him home to Texas with me. But that's a tale for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment