Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Hummers' Paradise, by Melissa A. Torres, 11x14 mixed media on canvas. SOLD


I have been taking a break from my traditional painting to experiment with something that has been used by a friend of mine for some time. Resin. At first I was terrified of it. I watched countless Youtube videos and read numerous "How to" articles online. I finally decided, "What do I have to lose." I found out I love it! It is messy at times, and can be unforgiving. Any little hair or dust can ruin your final product, but guess what??? You can sand it and add another layer, giving you another try to achieve perfection. 

"Hummers' Paradise" is the first piece I completed using resin. After creating the background using acrylic paints, Isopropyl alcohol, and micas, a layer of resin was poured. The Hummers and flowers were painted in acrylic. A final layer of resin was poured instead of my usual varnishing technique. I love how the resin give a glassy look and feel to the work, and the subjects in the painting appear 3D.

This painting has been SOLD, but view other available works at my Shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment